| || |
The Acorn Stories
by Duane Simolke
(Respecting the intellectual property of others is utmost important to us, we make every effort to make sure we only link to legitimate sites, such as those sites owned by authors and publishers. If you have any questions about these links, please contact us.)
L. L. Lee, author of Taxing Tallula
A well-crafted collection of short stories.
Mark Kendrick, author of Desert Sons
It was a real pleasure to read about the fictional town of Acorn, Texas.
Visit the West Texas town of Acorn! Enjoy the German festival, a high school football game, homemade apple pie from the Turner Street CafÃ©, and the cool shade of a hundred-year-old oak tree. Meet dedicated teachers, unusual artists, shrewd business owners, closeted gays, and concerned neighbors. See how lives become intertwined in moments of humor or tragedy. Just be careful, because in Acorn, the sky is always falling!
From romantic comedy to razor-sharp satire to moments of quiet reflection, Duane SimolkeÂs award-winning tales transform a fictional West Texas town into a tapestry of human experiences.
ÂA well-crafted collection of short stories.Â
ÂL. L. Lee, author of Taxing Tallula
ÂIt was a real pleasure to read about the fictional town of Acorn, Texas, and get to meet all the different and varied people that Mr. Simolke so eloquently fleshed out.Â
ÂMark Kendrick, author of Desert Sons
From the Publisher
Welcome to Acorn, population 21,001, the Texas town with a little name and a big heart.
From the Author
I started writing this collection in 1988, though I wouldnt decide on a West Texas setting until moving here. White Knight Publishing released The Acorn Stories as an electronically published book (e-book) in 1998. An early imprint of iUniverse brought it into paperback in 1999. This newly revised edition, also published by iUniverse, is available internationally in paperback or hardcover.
About the Author
Majoring in English, Simolke received degrees from Belmont University (B.A., 1989), Hardin-Simmons University (M.A., 1991), and Texas Tech University (Ph.D., 1996). Stein, Gender, Isolation, and Industrialism: New Readings of Winesburg, Ohio was his doctoral dissertation at Texas Tech.
StoneWall Society gave him Pride in the Arts literary awards for his books The Acorn Stories, Degranon, and Holding Me Together. His writing has appeared in dozens of publications, including The International Journal On World Peace, nightFire, Midwest Poetry Review, Perception, Caprock Sun, and The New Voice of Nebraska, as well as on websites such as This Week in Texas.
Simolke edited and co-wrote the spin-off The Acorn Gathering: Writers Uniting Against Cancer, donating the royalties to the American Cancer Society. He also wrote the foreword to Ronald L. Donaghes gay novel Lance: The Continuing Journals of Will Barnett.
Related Free eBooks
- Old Time Stories Of The Old North State
- The Downing Legends: Stories In Rhyme
- The Troll Garden And Selected Stories
- Stories Of The Old Missions Of California
- The Imported Bridegroom, And Other Stories
- Perdita, And Other Stories
- Coupon Bonds, And Other Stories
- The Magic Egg And Other Stories
- Ballads Of Valor And Victory, Being Stories In Song From The Annals Of America
- Taken Alive, And Other Stories, With An Autobiography
- The Trimmed Lamp, And Other Stories Of The Four Million
- In Ole Virginia, Or, Marse Chan And Other Stories
- A Deal In Wheat, And Other Stories Of The New And Old West
- True, And Other Stories
- Balcony Stories
- The Real Thing, And Other Stories
- The Heart Of Old Hickory, And Other Stories Of Tennessee
- The Goodness Of St. Roque, And Other Stories
- One Basket: Thirty-one Short Stories
- The Secret Flower, And Other Stories
- The Real Issue: A Book Of Kansas Stories
- Lukundoo, And Other Stories
- The Hermit And The Wild Woman, And Other Stories
- Agent Of Vega, And Other Stories
- The Eyrie And Other Southern Stories
- Poor, Dear Margaret Kirby, And Other Stories
- The Fox Woman, And Other Stories
- When God Laughs, And Other Stories
- Moon-face, And Other Stories
- The Faith Of Men And Other Stories
- Dutch Courage And Other Stories
- The Acorn-planter
- Cape Cod Stories
- The Redheaded Outfield And Other Baseball Stories
- Rosamond, Or, The Youthful Error: A Tale Of Riverside; And Other Stories