| || |
Westward Ho!, or, the voyages and adventures of Sir Amyas Leigh, Knight, of Burrough, in the county of Devon, in the reign of her most glorious majesty Queen Elizabeth
by Charles Kingsley
(Respecting the intellectual property of others is utmost important to us, we make every effort to make sure we only link to legitimate sites, such as those sites owned by authors and publishers. If you have any questions about these links, please contact us.)
For studying the Elizabethan era, there is no finer classic novel than this! Full of the drama of this age of exploration, discovery and conquest, Kingsley has truly brought this colorful time to life. From the coral reefs of the Barbados to the jungles of the Orinoco and to the providential defeat of the Spanish Armada, this vibrant novel captures the daring spirit of the Elizabethan adventurers who sailed with Sir Francis Drake.
If the Rose of Torridge herself had walked into the room, she could hardly have caused more blank astonishment than Frank's bold speech. Every guest turned red, and pale, and red again, and looked at the other as much as to say, "What right has any one but I to drink her? Lift your glass, and I will dash it out of your hand;" but Frank, with sweet effrontery, drank "The health of the Rose of Torridge."
From the Publisher
13 1.5-hour cassettes
About the Author
Charles Kingsley (1819-1875) was an English clergyman, novelist, and poet who was born at Dartmoor in Devon and began writing when he was five years old. He was much involved in the social reform movements of his time. Kingsley's best known works are the children's fantasy The Water Babies, and Westward Ho!.
Related Free eBooks
- Travels in England during the reign of Queen Elizabeth
- Travels In England During The Reign Of Queen Elizabeth; And Fragmenta Regalia
- History of the church in England : from the accession of Henry VIII to the death of Queen Elizabeth, A.D. 1509-1603
- Robert Laneham's letter : describing a part of the entertainment unto Queen Elizabeth at the castel of Kenilworth in 1575
- The letters of Queen Victoria, a selection from Her Majesty's correspondence between the years 1837 and 1861 : published by authority of His Majesty the King
- Life of Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen V.1.
- Memoirs of the Court of Queen Elizabeth Volume 1
- Memoirs of the Court of Queen Elizabeth Volume 2
- Queen Elizabeth
- Queen Elizabeth By Muir
- Extracts from the accounts of the Revels at court : in the reigns of Queen Elizabeth and King James I, from the original office books of the masters and yeomen
- Social life in the reign of Queen Anne : taken from original sources
- Life of Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen, (Victoria) Vol II
- The Queens Closet Opened: Incomparable Secrets In Physick, Chyrurgery, Preserving, Candying, And Cookery; As They Were Presented To The Queen
- Life of Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen — Volume 1
- The Historie Of The Most Renowned And Victorious Princesse Elizabeth, Late Queen Of England
- The Romance Of The Lace Pillow: Being A History Of Lace-making In Bucks, Beds, Northants And Neighouring Counties, Together With Some Account Of The Lace Industries Of Devon And Ireland
- In The Reign Of Terror: The Adventures Of A Westminster Boy
- Westward Ho!
- The Splendid Spur: Being Memoirs Of The Adventures Of Mr. John Marvel, A Servant Of His Late Majesty King Charles I., In The Years 1642-43, Written By Himself
- The History Of Henry Esmond, Esq., A Colonel In The Service Of Her Majesty Queen Anne
- Basil The Page: A Story Of The Days Of Queen Elizabeth
- The Life Of Her Most Gracious Majesty The Queen
- The Old Moat Farm: A Story Of Queen Elizabeth's Days
- In The Days Of Queen Elizabeth
- The Reign Of Elizabeth 1558-1603