| || |
The Encyclopedia Of Marriage, Divorce And The Family
by Margaret Dicanio
(Respecting the intellectual property of others is utmost important to us, we make every effort to make sure we only link to legitimate sites, such as those sites owned by authors and publishers. If you have any questions about these links, please contact us.)
From Library Journal
This book provides quick information on contemporary family lifestyles in over 600 entries covering a wide range of subjects. Unfortunately, there are some surprising omissions. Thus, because of an apparent absence of any organizing principle for choice of subjects or rationale for the space devoted to each item, we find an entry for fast food impact on families but none for gay, lesbian, or homosexuality impact. Some entries are given a few pages while others of apparently equal importance get only a few lines. The absence of systematic cross-referencing within the text leads to a repetition of the same ideas under different headings. It also leads to the same issue appearing under multiple heads, i.e., entries for domestic violence, spouse abuse, and wife battering examine the same subject. While the lay reader will find this reference provides quick access to a wide range of family issues, the book's drawbacks will give librarians cause for concern.
- John M. Haynes, Haynes Mediation Assocs . , Huntington, N.Y.
Copyright 1989 Reed Business Information, Inc.
The latest in a series of encyclopedias focusing on social issues, The Encyclopedia of Marriage, Divorce and The Family is the first single-volume reference to encompass the range of issues, attitudes and realities associated with our era's rapidly evolving life-styles.
In over 500 entries arranged in an A-to-Z format, this volume explains all of the terms and concepts used by various professionals in their work with families. In addition, the author's introduction offers a concise overview of recent changes in living arrangements, social attitudes and parenting practices. Extensive appendixes have been added to accommodate those looking for more help or guidance, and a thorough bibliography and index, as well as extensive cross-references, have also been included for easy access to information.
About the Author
Margaret DiCanio, a freelance writer, received a Ph.D. from the University of Florida and an M.A. from Boston University. She taught Sociology at the University of Minnesota, the University of Tennessee Medical School, and the University of Memphis. Subsequent to teaching, she served as the director of community programs for a Memphis mental health center, and as the executive director of two Massachusetts mental health centers. During her 13-year career as a freelance writer, DiCanio has written 9 nonfiction books, the most recent is Encyclopedia of American Activism: The 1960's to the Present (ABC_CLIO, 1998). She writes profiles for the English-language edition of Nor Or, an Armenian weekly newspaper. DiCanio also writes mystery stories. A member of the American Society of Journalists and Authors (ASJA), the National Association of Science Writers (NASW), and the Mystery Writers of America (MWA), she has served as the president, treasurer, and newsletter editor for the New England Chapter of MWA.
Related Free eBooks
- The History Of Divorce And Re-marriage, For English Churchmen
- Nuptiae Sacrae, Or, An Inquiry Into The Scriptual Doctrine Of Marriage And Divorce: Addressed To The Two Houses Of Parliament
- Principles Of Marriage And Family Ethics
- The Superstition Of Divorce
- The Doctrine And Discipline Of Divorce
- The Judgment Of Martin Bucer Concerning Divorce
- The Catholic Family Handbook
- Family Limitation
- A Marriage Sabbatical
- The Family For Families: Reflections On The Life Of Jesus, Mary, And Joseph
- A Treatise On The Christian Doctrine Of Marriage
- The Sanctity Of Marriage
- The Graying Of America: An Encyclopedia Of Aging, Health, Mind, And Behavior
- Best Friends And Marriage: Exchange Among Women
- A Letter To The Queen On Lord Chancellor Cransworth's Marriage And Divorce Bill
- Dissolution: No-fault Divorce, Marriage, And The Future Of Women
- What The Bible Says About Marriage, Divorce, And Remarriage
- The Jewish Law Of Marriage And Divorce
- Nurturing Fatherhood: Improving Data And Research On Male Fertility, Family Formation, And Fatherhood
- The Kallikak Family: A Study In The Heredity Of Feeble-mindedness
- How Much Is Enough? Basic Family Budgets For Working Families
- Search Lights On Health, Light On Dark Corners: A Complete Sexual Science And A Guide To Purity And Physical Manhood, Advice To Maiden, Wife And Mother, Love, Courtship And Marriage
- The Origin Of The Family, Private Property, And The State
- Temporary Marriage In Islamic Law
- Family In Society
- Family And Frontier In Colonial Brazil: Santana De Parnaíba, 1580-1822
- The Negro Family In British Guiana
- The Modern Marriage Market
- Industrialization, Family Life, And Class Relations: Saint Chamond, 1815-1914
- The History And Philosophy Of Marriage: Or, Polygamy And Monogamy Compared
- Marriage Is For Love
- Some Reflections Upon Marriage, Occasioned By The Duke And Dutchess Of Mazarine's Case; Which Is Also Considered
- Morals And Marriage: The Catholic Background To Sex
- Marriage And The American Ideal
- Critical Theory Of The Family