| || |
The Hymns Of Orpheus, Translated From The Original Greek, With A Preliminary Dissertation On The Life And Theology Of Orpheus
by Thomas Taylor
(Respecting the intellectual property of others is utmost important to us, we make every effort to make sure we only link to legitimate sites, such as those sites owned by authors and publishers. If you have any questions about these links, please contact us.)
Translated by Thomas Taylor.
Introductory Preface by Manly P. Hall.
A photographic facsimile of the 1792 edition, published in London, this includes a preliminary dissertation on "The Life and Theology of Orpheus," "The Initiations of Orpheus" which were the invocations used in the Eleusinian Mysteries, and "Concerning the Beautiful" by Plotinus. These comprise a compendium of the teachings of Orpheus, a missionary of civilization and one whose teachings are nearly indistinguishable from the foundation of the Pythagorean philosophy.
Text: English (translation)
Original Language: Greek
From the Publisher
The Philosophical Research Society is a nonprofit organization founded in 1934 for the purpose of assisting thoughtful persons to live more graciously and constructively in a confused and troubled world. The Society is entirely free from educational, political, or ecclesiastical control. Dedicated to an idealistic approach to the solution of human problems, the Society's program stresses the need for the integration of religion, philosophy, and the science of psychology into one system of instruction. The goal of this instruction is to enable the individual to develop a mature philosophy of life, to recognize his proper responsibilities and opportunities, and to understand and appreciate his place in the unfolding universal pattern.
Related Free eBooks
- Plutarch's Lives of illustrious men. Translated from the original Greek: with notes, critical and historical; and a life of Plutarch
- The Sybilline Oracles, Translated From The Greek Into English Blank Verse
- Hymns and poems, original and translated
- The Eleven Comedies, Now For The First Time Literally And Completely Translated From The Greek Tongue Into English
- The Heritage Of India Series Hymns From The Rigveda:Selected And Metrically Translated
- Extracts From Adam's Diary, translated from the original ms
- An Essay on the Slavery and Commerce of the Human Species, Particularly the African - Translated from a Latin Dissertation, Which Was Honoured With the First Prize in the University of Cambridge, for the Year 1785, With Additions
- History of the Conquest of Mexico, with a Preliminary View of Ancient Mexican Civilization, and the Life of the Conqueror, Hernando Cortes
- A TREATISE ON GOVERNMENT TRANSLATED FROM THE GREEK OF ARISTOTLE
- Carols Of The Coast: A Collection Of Songs, Ballads And Legends, Original And Translated
- Ptolemy's Tetrabiblos, Or Quadripartite: Being Four Books Of The Influence Of The Stars, Newly Translated From The Greek Paraphrase Of Proclus
- The Nibelungenlied, Translated Into Rhymed English Verse In The Metre Of The Original
- Hymns Of Martin Luther, The: set to their original melodies; with an English version
- The Poems of Goethe Translated in the original metres
- The Poetical Works of John Dryden, Vol I - With Life, Critical Dissertation, and Explanatory Notes
- The Evolution Of Theology In The Greek Philosophers, Vol. Ii.
- The Evolution Of Theology In The Greek Philosophers Vol-I
- Social life in the reign of Queen Anne : taken from original sources
- Lyrics of light and life : LIV. original poems
- Life of David Crockett the original humorist and irrepressible backwoodsman
- The critical and miscellaneous prose works of John Dryden : now first collected, with notes and illustrations, an account of the life and writings of the author, grounded on original and authentick documents : and, a collection of his letters, the greater part of which has never before been published (Volume 1)
- History of the administration of President Lincoln : including his speeches, letters, addresses, proclamations, and messages. With a preliminary sketch of his life
- Saint Alphonsus Liguori : or extracts translated from the moral theology of the above Romish saint, who was canonized in the year 1839
- The Poetical Works of John Dryden, Vol II - With Life, Critical Dissertation, and Explanatory Notes
- The Poems Of Ossian, To Which Are Prefixed A Preliminary Discourse And Dissertation On The Aera And Poems Of Ossian
- The Captivi And The Mostellaria Of Plautus, Literally Translated With Notes
- The Satires, Epistles, And Art Of Poetry Of Horace, Translated Into English Verse
- Grammar Of Septuagint Greek
- English-greek Dictionary: A Vocabulary Of The Attic Language
- Greek Prose Composition For Schools
- A Greek Grammar For Schools And Colleges
- Fenelon's Treatise On The Education Of Daughters, Translated From The French And Adapted To English Readers, With An Original Chapter, "on Religious Studies"
- The March Of Portola And The Discovery Of The Bay Of San Francisco; The Log Of The San Carlos And Original Documents Translated And Annotated
- The Greek View Of Life
- Songs And Hymns Of Earliest Greek Christian Poets, Bishops And Others