Heart And Science: A Story Of The Present Time
by Wilkie Collins
(Respecting the intellectual property of others is utmost important to us, we make every effort to make sure we only link to legitimate sites, such as those sites owned by authors and publishers. If you have any questions about these links, please contact us.)
The Washington Post
Rick Simmons, University of South Carolina
"Broadview Press has quickly become a leader in the field of producing the best editions of nineteenth-century British literary texts."
Heart and Science, one of Wilkie Collins' later novels, is concerned with the debate over what he termed 'the hideous secrets of vivisection.' The tale of a family split by various opinions and sentiments, as well as the novel's clear parallels to the animal welfare/animal rights debates of today will strike chords of understanding with modern readers, who always relate well to the accessible conversational style of Collins' prose.
Appendices of contextual material include contemporary reviews, Carroll, Cobbe and others on the vivisection debate of the 1870s, Collinss letters, and R. Brownings anti-vivisectionist poems.
From the Publisher
The Broadview Literary Texts series is an effort to represent the ever-changing canon of literature in English by bringing together texts long regarded as classics with valuable, though lesser-known literature.
About the Author
Steve Farmer is a specialist in late Victorian fiction who teaches at Arizona State University.
Related Free eBooks
- Heart and Science
- The Story Of My Heart
- Peg O' My Heart
- The Heart Of The Ancient Wood
- The Heart Of Mid-lothian
- Rob Roy; The Heart Of Mid-lothian
- The Secret Places Of The Heart
- The Land Of Heart's Desire
- Heart Of Darkness
- The Heart Of Darkness
- Gorbachev: The Master-key Of The Universal Heart
- Kennedy: The Universal Heart
- In The Heart Of The Rockies: A Story Of Adventure In Colorado
- Poems Of The Past And The Present
- Black Heart And White Heart, And Other Stories
- Science And Creationism: A View From The National Academy Of Sciences, Second Edition
- Materials Science And Technology: Challenges For The Chemical Sciences In The 21st Century
- The Sciences Of Nature Versus The Science Of Man
- Hearts Of Controversy
- The Vital Science: Biology And The Literary Imagination, 1860-1900
- The School Of The Heart, Or, The Heart Of It Self Gone Away From God, Brought Back Again To Him, And Instructed By Him, In 47 Emblems
- The Function Of Criticism At The Present Time
- Honor Edgeworth: Or, Ottawa's Present Tense
- Essays On Life, Art And Science
- Lady Byron Vindicated: A History Of The Byron Controversy From Its Beginning In 1816 To The Present Time
- Letters For Literary Ladies: To Which Is Added, An Essay On The Noble Science Of Self-justification
- Future Directions For The National Science Foundation's Arctic Natural Sciences Program